Wednesday 12 June 2013

Slow news week

I just realized I haven't posted in over a week.  Not much doing around these parts, I guess.  At least not fertility related.  I got my period in relatively short order after stopping my meds last Monday after the endo biopsy, so now we're just waiting another month or two for the DHEA to take full effect before IVF #3.  I suppose I could always be shocked by a natural BFP sometime before August, but I'm not counting on it.

Oh, and there seemed to be a bit of confusion in the comments last week as to the reason for my endless series of endo biopsies.  To clarify, no one actually thinks there's anything wrong with my lining.  This particular test was ordered just to rule it out after our decent-looking blast failed to implant last cycle.  All of the biopsies before that weren't diagnostic; they were done due to this theory that uterine trauma in the month ahead of an IVF cycle results in your lining growing back thicker and stickier.  My clinic is really big on this idea, so as long as I keep doing IVFs I'll keep having endo biopsies.  Luckily they're not a big deal for me so I think I might try to set a new world record.  Is there even a category for that in the Guinness Book of Records?  And what do you win if you set one?

In the meantime, we've been throwing ourselves wholeheartedly into being dog parents and getting out and enjoying the start of summer.  M and I have realized that not only was getting Buddy a great thing for our general happiness level, but it's also been really good for our activity level.  I don't mean exercise-wise, which I do pretty much every day, but rather just getting out and doing stuff.  You know those people who are always out and about, going to cool events in their city and exploring new areas?  That's the exact opposite of us.  You're much more likely to find us parked on the couch or our back deck on the weekend, reading or generally being lazy.  But we've been trying to break out of that rut, and Buddy has helped a lot with that.

This past weekend we ended up hearing about an outdoor classical music concert that was both free and geared toward dogs and their owners.  We ended up checking it out, and it basically turned out to be a big corporate event for pet food company IAMS.  They were giving out tons of stuff including treats, beach blankets, doggie bandanas, and even entire bags of dog food.  Unfortunately for the IAMS people their event both a) took place on a cloudy and somewhat chilly day and b) coincided with another huge dog event in Toronto called Woofstock, so the turnout seemed lower than expected.  A lot lower.  As in, it seemed like there were more event staff than patrons, and the "VIP" areas close to the stage for important IAMS people were laughably fuller than the actual main audience area.  BUT the orchestra was great (they played a whole Star Wars medley!) and Buddy got to sniff a lot of dog butts, so everyone in this household had a good time.

18 comments:

  1. That sounds fun! The doggie festival, not the biopsies...

    It's interesting, but it seems like it make total sense. Man o man hoping this next cycle is it for you. Actually fx that you get your magical BFP before that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Hilarious picture!! Dogs are the best... I'm so glad you have Buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you've been enjoying your time as a dog parent. Sounds like you are doing a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buddy is just the coolest :-) Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge animal lover. We have (3) full grown huge dogs and (2) cats that are part of my family. My husband laughs because I fluff the dog beds every night before they go to bed and leave a nice little dog biscuit for a snack. That is not including the stray cats we have been feeding for a few years now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always nice to hear when a pet has found his happy forever home!

    Also, I had an endo bx last month (my 1st) and this last ultrasound showed the tickets lining that I've ever had...fingers crossed it's also sticky and ready to catch two little embies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in Toronto this past weekend & wanted to see what Woofstock is all about. But, I didn't have my dogs with me so I didn't (and I thought all the dogs might freak out my baby niece). I'm glad Buddy is keeping you social :)
    I hadn't heard that theory about the endo biopsies, but it does make sense. Interesting. Hopefully you get a surprise BFP this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm envious of the dog-centric events in Toronto. The only thing Regina has is the annual dog jog for the humane society (which, sadly, I had to skip this year). The concert sounds great, though. I hope Buddy got to take home lots of swag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds fun. I'm jealous:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for clarifying the endo biopsy question! Love that you're enjoying the summer with your pup. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad things are working out and the dog parenting is now living up to the expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, Woofstock... so many pugs in fairy costumes... I can't imagine coping with the crowds at that event; a classic music concert sounds way more up my alley! In fact, I'd probably go next year -- do you have to bring a dog, or can you just be a creepy dog lover? That might be like those adults without kids who hang around jungle gyms I guess. Maybe I'll drag my parents' mini golden-doodle along. :)

    Man, the wait between biopsy and IVF kinda sucks -- 3 months feels like an eternity in the IF world. But then it couldn't come at a better time, really; you'll get the entire summer to not obsess about pregnancy and drink inappropriate amounts of rosé. Plus I always feel like the fall is when you get that "let's do this" urge anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you're enjoying hanging out with Buddy and the other dog parents! Sounds like a fantastic way to spend the summer before taking on another round of IVF!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you have been enjoying getting out and doing things with Buddy. And if he's enjoying sniffing other dog butts, then I guess everyone is happy! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job, This content is very very great content, I got really good information from this content and it helps me a lot, I hope it can help many people like me.
    Square Carpet Tiles



    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job, This content is very very great content, I got really good information from this content and it helps me a lot, I hope it can help many people like me.
    Carpet Tile Installation Cost

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great article this is very informative .......keep posting Thanks Regards
    carpets in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing such important information. It will be very useful for us in future. Good keep it up and keep writing. Read more about
    Sofa Upholstery Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete

I'm needy and your comments validate me. Help a sister out!