Wednesday 20 August 2014

Fat pants

Yup.  I'm wearin' em.

I've gained a grand total of two pounds, which I think is probably OK for being almost 9 weeks along.  I'm actually surprised it's not more, given that I've been famished all the time and I haven't been working out.  I can't really do much about the former, but I have to admit I'm pretty ticked at myself about the latter.  After spending the better part of the last year and a half working out regularly and getting into the best shape I've ever been in, I've been letting it all go to hell since June.  First we had our big sewer backup, which effectively destroyed the downstairs area where I do all my workouts.  Then we were gone for most of July (to Prague and then Vancouver), and since we've been back I just haven't gotten into the groove.

I'm really just full of excuses.  I didn't want to restart my high-intensity interval and weight training, figuring it would probably be too intense for pregnancy.  But I waffled on buying any pregnancy workouts out of fear that I'd jinx the whole thing.  I finally forced myself to just pick one off iTunes, and I've done it exactly once.  I went into it with gusto, not realizing that two months off is a lot longer than it seems.  I hurt for days afterwards, and haven't done it since.  Add to that the fact that my nausea tends to act up in the late afternoon/after work/before dinner (which is exactly when I do my workouts) and it's just a recipe for laziness.

So I shouldn't have been shocked when I went to put on a pair of skinny corduroys the other day, only to be faced with some pretty serious discomfort and muffin top.  (Yeah, ok, the thighs were kind of tight too, so obviously this isn't just a belly issue.)  Lucky for me, I hadn't yet ditched/donated most of the pants that I was wearing before I went on my health kick, so a few of them are starting to make it back into the rotation.  

Soon...

Otherwise, I'm actually pretty stoked because tomorrow my sis, her husband and my adorable almost-5-year-old niece are coming to Toronto for a week!  My niece hasn't been here since my wedding when she was 2, so this will be the first time that we'll be able to do fun kid activities like the zoo and the beach.  I don't know who's more excited, me or her!  It'll also be a nice way to kill some time between now and our NT scan/first OB appointment, which isn't until the second week of September.  Feels like a lifetime until then!

24 comments:

  1. Glad you saved your fat pants. It's such a natural progression for pregnancy and I am thrilled for you! Gotta laugh at Joey's pants! I remember that episode vividly. Have a grand time with your niece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been in fat pants since transfer day. Maybe get a belly band for when the fat pants get tight but you're not ready for maternity clothes yet (at least I'm as superstitious about those as about prenatal workout anything). Enjoy kids time with your niece! Does your family know yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloat. I'm sure the not exercising has something to do with it too but that beginning pregnancy bloat sucks. I think I look more slender now at 7 months pregnant then I did at 12 weeks. I know I certainly feel a lot better. Hang in there little lady. What about a brisk walk in the evening. Or slow if your nauseous?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I started slacking off on my workouts right before vacation (and the two months before that I'd been doing awesome and got really fit)...I've already put back on some of the weight. I try to say it's just bloating, but really it's just laziness spilling out of my stomach. I also always call sweatpants my Thanksgiving pants...which I wear waaaaay more often than just on Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's baby bloat! Good thing you kept the fat pants around--you're going to need them for quite a while. Have a super fantastic time with your family! What a great distraction until your next appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay fat pants!!! Hooray for baby bloat! I had high hopes of being someone who exercised throughout her pregnancy....and ended up doing a lot of walking because running and doing other high intensity stuff freaked me out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maternity pants are just as much for the gas and bloat as they are for the baby...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only 2 pounds? Wow, you're doing excellent! Our basement flooded at the same time as yours and totally threw a wrench in my workouts. It's so hard to get back into the swing of things once you are out of your routine. I think as long as you stay active during your pregnancy and eat as healthy as possible, it really won't be hard to get back into exercise once baby is here (and your stitches have healed! ouch!) I did some pregnancy workouts on YouTube during my pregnancy and they were good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The "fat" could be water retention too. In 1st trimester my weight would oscillate 10 or even 15 pounds in 24 hours some days - I finally gave up weighing myself at all. I think in terms of working out, do what your body tells you feels good - and it may be very different from what felt good in the past. The truth about pregnancy is that somebody else takes over your body and uses it for his/her own purposes. Now mind you I hear all the time about people who keep up their workouts/cycling/dancing until 2 days before delivery or something - all I can say is good for them! maybe you will be one too, or maybe you won't...in the meantime hurrah for fat pants! (Advice: The bella band is great as a pants extender as long as you don't want maternity pants. Buuuuuut...maternity pants are awesome so I would suggest, don't avoid them forever! Also I would say don't bother with elastic- waisted pants in lieu of maternity pants/ bella band. I thought that was a great idea but the growing belly just pushes the elastic waist down and then you feel fat AND like your pants are falling off LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about walking as a workout? I got a Fitbit precisely because my RE cautioned against intense exercise, and now I just walk & swim a lot. It won't help you lose weight, but it'll still get circulation going.

    --Violetta

    ReplyDelete
  11. so glad everything is going well! the weight will be worth it and will come off eventually!! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for fat pants! I thought I would totally workout during pregnancy and then the nausea hit and all those plans went to hell. All I could manage was long walks. The walk along with fresh air actually helped me feel a little less nauseous, actually. I tried prenatal yoga later on, but by then I was so big and out of shape that I almost felt worse when I did it. Sadly, I'm still struggling to get back into a workout routine.
    When I couldn't button my pants anymore I just put a rubber band through the button hole and buttoned them up that way. It helped for that in-between stage when maternity pants were still too big.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am laughing because my "fat" pants have been on since about 8 or 9 weeks when I was already showing.

    Hope you have a lovely visit. Does your whole family know about the pregnancy?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very happy to hear that things are going along smoothly for you. Enjoy your niece and the family visit and don't worry about the weight or need for "fat pants" it's all for a good cause :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those pants are like a gift from God (and yup, I'm still wearing 'em 9 weeks later).

    You always find the best gifs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't congratulated you yet on your pregnancy but I have rejoiced and jumped up and down for you celebrating in my house. I am soooooo happy for you. Those first few months when you just feel fat and not really pregnant are the worst (but also the best because there is a REASON). Yay for fat pants!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for fat pants and gaining weight... it's all for the BEST cause :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really nice post works well and easy to configure...thanks for all info.
    Flooring Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello man! Incredible post however I extremely needed to simply drop a remark on your blog. Your blog has a super cool outline. Is this wordpress by possibility?
    Best Carpet stores in

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is really nice post works well and easy to configure...thanks for all info.
    Ready Made Curtains Dubai


    ReplyDelete
  21. The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
    I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
    I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much!
    PVC Flooring

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job, This content is very very great content, I got really good information from this content and it helps me a lot, I hope it can help many people like me.
    Interiors in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning, Fantastic its looks so astounding. Much obliged to you for sharing this article and keep doing awesome.vinyl flooring shops near me

    ReplyDelete

  24. Great article this is very informative .......keep posting Thanks Regards
    office carpet for sale

    ReplyDelete

I'm needy and your comments validate me. Help a sister out!